Kempis on: Prudence in Action

  

Catchy image huh? Now that I have other posts published I've decided to ease up a tad and present my humorous side. But, this picture has a purpose and meaning to me. Couple that with a quote by Pope St. John Paul II: "Stupidity is also a gift from God, but one mustn't misuse it."

(NOTE:  I've received many very good suggestions how to approach Kempis in these posts. But, like the book I wrote, I make this about me ONLY because I don't want anyone to make the same mistakes I've made in the past and pray for conversion of all. Thus, I am very transparent., almost to a fault.)



Beloved: If you are patient when you suffer for doing what is good, this is a grace before God. For to this you have been called, because Christ also suffered for you, leaving you an example that you should follow in his footsteps.

-1 Peter 2

My friends, I have destroyed many relationships over the years. And when one mars a relationship, communication is virtually nonexistent. Without dialog, there was no clear cut path in repairing relationships. Impulsive? Guilty, Over react? Guilty. In one instance, although I was passionate, and factually true, it was brutal and severed many ties. 

I write these little bits of transparency so you may see how my relationship with Jesus, and Imitation of Christ, really helped me.

In this post I'll begin, not end with my notes from Thomas' works. (my emphasis)
  1. DO NOT yield to every impulse and suggestion but consider things carefully and patiently in the light of God's will.
  2. Sad to say, we are so weak that we believe and speak evil of others rather than good.
  3. Not to act rashly or to cling obstinately to one's opinion, not to believe everything people say or to spread abroad the gossip one has heard, is great wisdom.
  4. A good life makes a man wise according to God and gives him experience in many things, for the more humble he is and the more subject to God, the wiser and the more at peace he will be in all things.

Patience is indeed a virtue. I recall a confession where I told the priest, a wonderful man, about my pride in wanting to convert people. As admirable as I thought my conviction was, he told me something quite profound. "Jesus couldn't convert everyone, what makes you you think you can?" It was the '2x4 across the head' I needed to hear. He mentioned that my pride was a subtle pride (Thomas refers to it as hidden pride). He recommended I pray for prudence along with my penance. Prudence is a virtue, directly related to humility. Prudence infers wisdom.

For example, I'm no different than any other person on Twitter. I'm humbled by any compliment but I can get upset, even angry, if someone comes after me... and, I used to. My response was typically vulgar and I mocked people. I struck back with vengeance, so to speak. However, that is not in line with the Gospels. If we want to be followers (true, not merely followers) of Christ we have to approach our disagreements with the virtue of Charity... just like Jesus did. 

I remind folks all the time, I pray for wisdom not intellect. (Review items #3 and #4) I have found the peace with the way I handle conversations and confrontations in a Jesus-like way. Example: I once had a Catholic woman approach me and tell me she doesn't believe in purgatory. When I asked her why that was, she told me that Holy Scripture tells us we are saved by faith alone. (I wondered what denomination was whispering in her ear.) After a short discussion she suggested we should have coffee and discuss it, but it never happened. As the priest told me in the confessional, even Jesus couldn't convert everyone... even His own faith. Reference John 6 when many disciples walked away. 

(I didn't name this blog Catholic Hardball by chance.)

What really raises the hair on the nape of my neck is knowing more than 70% of Catholics do not believe in the True Presence of Jesus Christ in the Eucharist. What once used to be, "What idiots!" Nowadays I utilize the advice of Br. Thomas in item #2. Patience before I respond. Like the purgatory example I take a step back and consider the attitude and education level of statements made. For example, it is possible that someone has never learned about purgatory (shame on many of the homilists these days) and Holy Eucharist. 

Read! Everything one needs to know is in Holy Scripture, whether directly or indirectly. While it's true the word purgatory isn't in the Bible, there are a ton of books, written by excellent Catholic apologists and theologians. In fact, a majority of these authors have converted from something else to Catholicism. They did their research, many times, trying to poke holes in Catholicism. 

My chosen patron saint is St. Francis of Assisi. The following quote is a complete mis-quote of his, but it certainly makes sense. "Preach the gospel and, when necessary, use words." If all we did was live in a cell, like Brother Thomas at the monastery, then all we would have to worry about is our words. That's just not the case. So I adopted an attitude that "I wanted people to see the Jesus in me."  If so, I had better walk the walk as a follower.

However, as tough as I with Catholics, I am in constant examination of conscience regarding charity and how to present myself. I mentioned in the previous paragraph where my goal is for people to see the Jesus in me. I would never suggest to be Jesus. He was infallible and I'm a sinner. But I consider I might be the only Jesus someone might ever meet. I must present Jesus Christ as our holy loving savior. Anything else is unacceptable.


Until next time, may God give you peace.


@KempisStudent


Please check out the wonderful, Joanne's blog: ourfaithandhome.blogspot.com

Comments

Popular posts

How do we know if we love?

Welcome to Faith and Home