Kempis on: Meditation

 


Proverbs 3:1-7

My child, never forget the things I have taught you. Store my commands in your heart.

If you do this, you will live many years, and your life will be satisfying.

Never let loyalty and kindness leave you! Tie them around your neck as a reminder. Write them deep within your heart.

Then you will find favor with both God and people, and you will earn a good reputation.

Trust in the Lord with all your heart; do not depend on your own understanding.

Seek his will in all you do, and he will show you which path to take.

Don’t be impressed with your own wisdom. Instead, fear the Lord and turn away from evil. (my emphasis)


My wife and I meet Catholic friends of ours for breakfast each week. The gentleman, Bill, and I discuss many things, but primarily the current state of Mother Church. When breakfast is finished, and we say our goodbyes… jokingly admit that we have failed, once again, to save the world and the Church. Then I come home.

There is little doubt that our beloved Mother Church is in a state of chaos. If you’ve read any of my non-Kempis posts, and the latest in particular (Is the Vatican, intentionally, leading the Church away from Heaven?), I’m sure you would surmise some of my angst. For example, on June 29 Bishop Athanasius Schneider wrote a letter regarding the upcoming Synod. Fortunately he’s not shy and is quite critical, nearly calling it a satanic synod. (Dr. Anthony Stine explains the contents of the letter on his website, ReturnToTradition.org.)

I find it tempting to become anxious with this as I, like you, believe in the Holy Apostolic Catholic Church found by Jesus Christ. St. Francis de Sales was once quoted:

"Anxiety is the greatest evil that can befall a soul, except sin. God commands you to pray, but He forbids you to worry."

So what do I do about that?”, I constantly ask myself. On one hand, I don’t want to sit on my posterior and do nothing. Then again I know that prayer, fasting and alms giving are what is required, first and foremost.

The book, Imitation of Christ, is actually divided into four books. This topic is the beginning of book 2… titling it The Interior Life. Thomas Kempis wrote this book as a guide for his Brothers in the Monastery, so it makes sense he would begin with how to, spiritually, connect with Jesus through prayer and what he advises us to meditate on. 

Kempis writes:

“The kingdom of God is within you," says the Lord. Turn, then, to God with all your heart. Forsake this wretched world and your soul shall find restLearn to despise external things, to devote yourself to those that are within, and you will see the kingdom of God come unto you. (my emphasis)

Learning to despise external things is where I’ve begun to concentrate my efforts. I am rich in two ares: faith and family. I don’t need anything else. (I was told so in December, 2012 by a gentleman who had received a message from Jesus, meant specifically for me.) I don’t want anything else. Matthew 6:26 “Look at the birds. They don’t plant or harvest or store food in barns, for your heavenly Father feeds them. And aren’t you far more valuable to him than they are?” I know God will provide, as He’s always provided.

More:

Christ will come to you offering His consolation, if you prepare a fit dwelling for Him in your heart. Therefore, faithful soul, prepare your heart for this Bridegroom that He may come and dwell within you. Give place, then, to Christ, but deny entrance to all others. (my emphasis)

He will supply your every want, so that you need not trust in frail, changeable men. Do not place much confidence in weak and mortal man, helpful and friendly though he be; and do not grieve too much if he sometimes opposes and contradicts you, for men change with the windPlace all your trust in God; let Him be your fear and your love. (my emphasis)

I spent years trusting man to the point that I tended to forget about God. It was so easy to lean toward the tangible (man) and place (forsake?) the intangible (Holy Spirit) to the back of my mind. Man has never been able to provide me peace. Oh, he might for moments, but it doesn’t last. I’ve learned that nothing outside of heaven will make, and keep, me happy.

You have here no lasting home. You shall have no rest until you are wholly united with Christ. Dwell rather upon heaven and give but a passing glance to all earthly things. Fix your mind on the Most High, and pray unceasingly to Christ. Direct your thoughts to Christ's passion and willingly behold His sacred wounds. If you turn devoutly to the wounds and precious stigmata of Christ, you will find great comfort in suffering, (my emphasis)

About three years ago I wrote a little essay for myself. It may never be published because I may never be satisfied with it. I call it, Discerning the Passion of Jesus Christ. Whenever I sin, I feel as though I am spitting on His cross. I constantly let Him down. For example, I hold true to Holy Mother Church and her teachings to the best of my ability. Her teachings are Christ’s. So when I see the calamity in the Church I tend to very critical. That’s not necessarily a bad thing unless I lose control and become vituperative. 

As Kempis writes:

When Christ was in the world,

  • He was despised by men;

  • In the hour of need He was forsaken by acquaintances and left by friends to the depths of scorn.

  • He was willing to suffer and to be despised; do you dare to complain of anything?

  • He had enemies and defamers; do you want everyone to be your friend, your benefactor?

  • How can your patience be rewarded if no adversity test it?

  • How can you be a friend of Christ if you are not willing to suffer any hardship? (my emphasis)

I cannot get the thought out of my head that our Lord’s passion no longer means anything to our church leaders. It sickens me.

A man who is a lover of Jesus and of truth, a truly interior man who is free from uncontrolled affections, can turn to God at will and rise above himself to enjoy spiritual peace. He who tastes life as it really is, not as men say or think it is, is indeed wise with the wisdom of God rather than of men.

But because you are as yet neither entirely dead to self nor free from all earthly affection, there is much that often displeases and disturbs you.

If you refuse external consolation, you will be able to contemplate heavenly things and often to experience interior joy. (my emphasis)

I tell people all the time and have explained in posts prior, I am a nobody who writes blog posts. I could write about a number of things (fantasy football, funny family stories) that people might enjoy reading, but how will it get them to heaven? How will it get me to heaven if I don’t attempt to sermonize His Gospels? 

This is why I rely on Kempis and his book. His words bring me comfort as how to deal with these day-to-day uncertainties. Revisiting a piece of the above quote, “But because you are as yet neither entirely dead to self nor free from all earthly affection, there is much that often displeases and disturbs you.”, I find that I must stay on course and persevere to disconnect my earthly affections and rely, solely, on Jesus Christ. Only then will I know peace. It’s a difficult task, but as James 1:4 wrote, “And let endurance have its perfect result, so that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing..

God Bless you

Comments

  1. Very good! I can't get over thinking that we have gotten the Church we deserve, we have gotten the Pope we deserve. In our humility we need to say "And I am to blame" instead of blaming the Pope we need to blame sin. "All the evils of the world are due to luke warm Catholics" The words of Pope St. Pius V. I truly believe this! And when we look at history we see it. The answer is personal holiness in The Church, prayer and fasting. First we need to repent and make reparations, then go out and change things.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Your comment is appreciated!

Popular posts

How do we know if we love?

Welcome to Faith and Home