Kempis on the 4 Last Things: The Final Judgement

 

2 Corinthians 5:10

For we must all stand before Christ to be judged. We will each receive whatever we deserve for the good or evil we have done in this earthly body.

Ecclesiastes 12:14

God will judge us for everything we do, including every secret thing, whether good or bad.

(I selected two of the strongest passages I know, intentionally. They weren't selected for you, the reader, but for me the follower of Christ. They are a reminder of what I will face when I day. This is why a I examine my conscience daily, and make an Act of Contrition, at the very least, nightly... all of this in addition to regular (monthly) confessions.)

Now that we have considered our individual deaths we turn our focus on each of our judgements. When we are judged by our Lord, He will show us our souls as He sees them. Frankly, this will be the most frightening time of my humble existence. I may deem my soul to be in pretty good shape, but what about those 'secret things' mentioned in Ecclesiastes? What about forgotten sins? This why I want to make sure I have done everything I could have done to make myself worthy of Heaven.

Thomas Kempis paints quite a picture:

"My friend, reflect next upon how much terror and anxiety there will be at the great scene of the Final Judgment! The miraculous trumpets of angels shall then sound a deafening fanfare. Great bolts of blazing lightening will illuminate the earth and the sky with a blinding luminosity. Tumultuous thunder will roar, penetrating into the very depths of each human heart. The earth, the sea, and heavens themselves will all tremble! Consider the enormity of the wrath of the most just Judge, which will blaze against those who have offended Him through disobedience and disbelief. From this wrath, an abject and paralyzing fear will engulf the minds of all those who are guilty and terrify even the innocent."

The one comment that turns my stomach is, "But you're/they're a good person." Look, there are many "good" people in Purgatory. Yes, the purgative process will get me to heaven, but how long will it take? I've made it clear I wish no delays in my journey to Heaven. But if I don't go straight to paradise, I know it was in my hands and have only myself to blame. Every time I open my mouth, a mouth that got me in so much trouble in the past, I consider if this is a transgression I will regret. When I fail, and I still do fail, I want to make sure that I repent... hence my end of day prayers.

The issue with Purgatory, many have, is considering it a punishment. Granted, trying to see the joys of heaven through a translucent plate of glass, so to speak, is a punishment. We want to be with God and, in Purgatory, we aren't allowed. We want to feel His Love, but we won't be allowed. (As a lighter-side example, think of being in the dental chair you can't wait to get out of.)

Further, I expect it to be pins and needles until Jesus decides which direction I will go. Recalling Mathew 25:31-33, I want to be a sheep and sit on His right side. Matthew 25:40: 

And the king will answer them, ‘Truly I tell you, just as you did it to one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did it to me.’

When I hear Jesus say those words, will I be relieved to know I achieved the sanctifying grace to enter eternal paradise. 

Kempis continues:

"For those who are righteous, humble, and meek will be directed to the right hand of the Throne of Judgment, whereas the proud, envious, uncharitable, and wicked will be sent away to the left. Those on the right will rejoice, knowing that they are destined for eternal bliss, while those on the left will quake and quail, realizing the horrendous fate that awaits them. And none will know with certainty in advance to which side they will be sent—neither pope nor bishop, nor king, nor beggar, nor even convicted criminal." (my emphasis)

It's sad enough that people like those who represent organizations like the L.A. Dodgers, Target, Nike, Bud Lite (and the list goes on and who do we add today) that compromise their values (or if they have any values left), or those in politics that lie for their betterment... but also the heads of Holy Mother Church... that the final judgement doesn't even begin to enter into their thought process. Here I, a nobody, sits wondering if I have done enough to merit salvation; and the evil that permeates and traverses, even the Catholic Church, places the consequences of judgement on the back burner? I can't comprehend this. I suppose sin is too much fun, too cool. I used to know what mortal sin was like and how it felt good, but I trashed that feeling years ago.

Let's move on to what Kempis writes:

"Thus there will be two standing together [apparently similar in their conduct, beliefs and morals], and one will be taken away and the other left behind. How shocked and taken aback will be many of those who were proud and elated in this vain and deceptive world! For the Lord God shall exalt above such presumptuous people the poor, the wretched, the rejected, and the lowly.

The proud and haughty will then declare in their hearts, “These are the ones whom we held in derision and ridicule. We considered their lives as foolishness and believed that their ends would be without honor. But, behold, now they are numbered amongst the children of God!'" (my emphasis)

Have our minds gone so completely insane that we no longer think about our actions? In keeping with the three theological virtues of Charity, Faith and Hope, I owe it to you and all of God's creation to help realize to consequences of our actions. I'm not the kind of person to watch God's creation go to waste. The Holy Spirit has done a tremendous job of making me feel guilty, which compels me to do good things, in the favor of Jesus. I burn with the desire to please God. But, as a priest I very much admire once asked me in the confessional, "Jesus couldn't save everyone, what makes you think you can?" The passage from Acts 20:26-27, when Paul saying goodbye to the Ephesian elders, gives me some solace:

"Therefore I declare to you this day that I am not responsible for the blood of any of you, for I did not shrink from declaring to you the whole purpose of God." 

One might consider Paul's declaration that of fortitude; he manned up and stood for Jesus Christ. (In modern day lingo I might suggest had had the nads to stand his ground.) I know this is what is expected of us. Goodness, he knew what was coming his way but gave God the glory God deserves. 

Finally, Kempis ends this chapter with the following:

"My friend, it is wise to call to mind this Final Judgment very frequently! Whenever you have to decide upon a course of action, reflect for a moment upon how you will account for it on that last day. Will it cause you to be ashamed or to feel regret, or to fear the retributions due to it? Or will it be counted joyfully to your credit before that omniscient tribunal?" (my emphasis)

Again, we don't know when it will be our time to face Jesus and His judgement. As Thomas wrote: "Always remember that each one of your deeds is done in the full sight of Christ and His angels, and shape your actions accordingly." 


God Bless you very much!

Comments

Popular posts

How do we know if we love?

Welcome to Faith and Home